Monday, October 18, 2010

Week Nine, part one

New York vs. New Jersey:

So New Jersey find itself in the spoiler role. Will New Jersey win because they hate New York, or will New York lose because they hate New Jersey? Neither, I think, because the presence of Manhattan in the regional mix dilutes the hate factor to less than decisive influence. New York.

Baltimore vs. Boston:

Sammour's season debut last week showed one of the hidden dangers of being a great blitz player. At tournament time controls, such players are apt to indulge themselves by spending forty-five minutes on such questions as: should I point my knight's face toward the opponent's king, to intimidate, or should I point it away, to misdirect? Should I carry my piece to its new square, to avoid collisions, or should I gently slide it, to conserve energy? (en passant, I'm not sure how to describe the little flourish some give to indicate that they intend their piece to stay a while on its new square but "screwing the piece in" seems a misnomer, unless the player actually gives the piece several clockwise turns before releasing it. I can't say I've run into that one). Anyway, with the rust shaken out, I expect better time management resulting in better moves. Boston.

Chicago vs. Miami:

Chicago has lost its last two matches in rather heartbreaking fashion but, to echo that wrestler that I quoted here about five years ago, they've still got a liver, a stomach, and two kidneys to play with. Chicago.

Seattle vs. San Francsico:



I'll try to draw darker next time, if I remember. I tend to go softly in case I need to erase but then if I don't, it's too light. Anyway, FAGEND BEIRON MANROD CATELK HUGBOT, and 7,1,9. And Seattle.

5 comments:

Erabin said...

If ones predictions are wrong, everybody's are! Ron's predictions are identical to mine and Robby made 3/4 of the same!

Ron Young said...

I swear, I didn't cheat!

Erabin said...

Its ok... even if you did, we collectively didn't predict so well:( 1/4 right):)

Anonymous said...

FANGED
BONIER
RANDOM
TACKLE
BOUGHT

AKOBIAN A CONTENDER
(I could've been a contender)

Ron Young said...

Nice job! Your prize is a one-day ticket to Palookaville.