Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Week Ten

Most of the teams playing tonight, playoff-bound or not, are not competing for
much tonight so I don't think it really fair if I have to. Just something to keep in mind.

Boston vs. New York

NERDO
_ _ _OO

AVEST
O_ _OO

ASCREE
O_O_O_

REACNE
_O_O_O



_ _ _ _     _ _ _ _ _ _ _


Therefore? Well I think Evan learned from the soda can. New York.


Philadelphia vs. Carolina:

I'm sure Philadelphia was hoping to see a GM or two play for Tennessee tonight, but they themselves are fielding well below their strongest lineup. GMs look nice on a roster, but if you are assembling a team, make sure to find out first if they are hardcore baseball fans who would never miss a World Series game just to play chess. But the Philly lineup obviously like to play chess, so that ought to be worth something. Philadelphia.


New Jersey vs. Queens

Everything is close here but the teams' records. I think Queens would like to salvage something from the season but if not they, then I would. Queens by a nose in a driving finish.


Tennessee vs. Baltimore:

Baltimore needs it, but do they want it? Well, yeah, I suppose they do. Why wouldn't they? Baltimore.


San Francisco vs. Dallas

Most dictionaries or word processors I have seen do not recognize "chessplayer" as one word. But it feels silly in a chess blog to write "chess player". This feels like something I've said already but my web search does not turn it up so I'll continue and if you've heard this before, then please skip to the next match. "Chess player" sounds like something an overenunciating kid in a "Peanuts" TV special would say. Anyway, a well-known New York City chessplayer once said "if I go, I'm taking someone with me". The quote was even immortalized as the name of one of Steve Immitt's insanity tournaments. Dallas is the two-time defending champ but after this match, they are going, at least until next season. I'm betting they will take someone with them. Dallas to win.


Seattle vs. Chicago

Shulman is never going to break Cal Ripken's ironman streak at this rate. But who needs iron when you've got the mortar man? I say Chicago brings Seattle down to earth, or even a few feet below.


Miami vs. Arizona

In Boston-New York, it doesn't really matter who wins. Here, it is clear that it matters but not so clear what result would be most helpful to who. Probably both teams will fall back on native instinct and try to win. Boards two and four look lopsided, but Mateer did pull a big upset last week. Still, save the "has been rated as high as" defenses for people my age. Much will depend on whether we see the Becerra of old, or the old Becerra. I think the former. Miami.

1 comment:

Kris Jacobson said...

Propane heaters give off carbon monoxide which is lethal. The cloth from the shirt will pick up the moisture from the blades of grass, and you can then suck the water out of the shirt or wring it into a recepticle. Position the first pocket across the bottom of the main piece. Talking about the accessories, there are some which you cant do without when you have a fireplace at home.