Monday, October 19, 2009

Week Eight

First, a note on winning margins: "vanishing neck", though its quality is recognized, does grow weaker with use, and things like "stroke", "wicket" and "point after touchdown" might even break the first time. So unless a specific other score is expressly given, 2.5-1.5 is always implied.

Monday, October 19:


New Jersey vs. Boston

USSR co-champion, USA champ, plus score vs. Kasparov, and now Board One in a USCL match. It's been some career for Boris Gulko. With all that, he can't really begrudge Boston a match victory. Boston.


Dallas vs. Miami:

It's hard to figure what to make of the various time odds in this match what with the increments added each move. I propose simple material odds in the future. In my own long career, I was fortunate in catching the latter days of the sealed move era but even I missed out on material odds, announcing checkmates, "gardez le dame" and abandoning games due to the lateness of the hour. That aside, my impression is that Miami has a lot of experience with time odds so I give them the edge here. Miami.


Chicago vs. Arizona

Arizona, because I don't need attention.


Wednesday, October 21:


New York vs. Carolina:

BERUM
_ _O_O

OLDEY
O_ _OO

NOARCH
O_ _ _ _O

DEVAIN
_ _ _OO_





...HE COULD NOT _ _ _ _ /"_ _ _ _ _"

(as usual, I need the slash to maintain the space. Also, I know this is contradicted by history but I don't want to be obvious about everything) New York.


Philadelphia vs. Baltimore

Shahade is making her season debut but Defibaugh is newer to me. I looked it (the name) up and found that it is an "Americanization" of something. Must have been pretty foreign before, eh? Actually, it apparently comes from "Dieffenbach", which must be either a custom-lobotomized version of Crafty, or German, and the Germans have been in this country long enough for Benjamin Franklin to...remark upon their qualities. But that's neither here nor there (note to that comic guy: no real person ever said "good to be hither"; it is ungrammatical and always has been). What is here and there, though, is that the Franklins hold the key to this match in their bifocals and you can put that in your stove and print it. Philadelphia.


San Francisco vs. Queens:

This match features the return of the immigrant to his second home. I think Queens will celebrate with a win, but in any case they will celebrate. Queens.


Tennessee vs. Seattle:

It is tough, I am sure, being from Tennessee and constantly ridiculed as a diverse bunch of cosmopolites, but I do think the hootenanny misses something without the balalaikas. Seattle, 3-1.

No comments: