Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Week Six

Carolina vs. Queens:

Off to a 5-0 start, Queens is apparently concentrating on getting everyone into the game and improving team morale, even perhaps at the expense of a record-setting (and pressure-bringing) regular season. I pick Stripunsky to win Coach of the Year and Carolina to win this match, 2.5-1.5.


New Jersey vs. Baltimore:

The color assignments give NJ the edge in the grandmaster battle and the prospect of another Big Mac attack on board three. Two and four look solid enough, so I’m going with the Knockouts by decision, 2.5-1.5.


Boston vs. Philadelphia




ASVILE
O _ O _ O O

SCOSOM
O _ O O O _

HANES
_ O O O _

CUBAS
O O O _ _

Boston fans relished the savory taste of battle, the thrilling sight of blood, and...

THE SWEET “_ _ _ _ _ _ _” _ _ _ _ _ _ _



(Boston, 2.5-1.5)


Chicago vs. Miami:

In a match as tough as this one looks, the human prognosticator must venture where power ratings fear to tread. My own chess results may not have improved perceptibly after age 23, but I did develop a more mature understanding of why I wasn’t better. Rodriguez, as the youngest, seems most likely to be underrated and I am therefore giving Miami the nod, though if you weren’t looking closely you might think I was just falling asleep. The Sharks by one.


Tennessee vs. Dallas:

It looks like Tennessee just misses being able to play Burnett with this lineup. That kind of sucks for them (“sucks”, used in this manner, used to be considered vulgar for a family web page, but Jeopardy champ Ken Jennings, practicing Mormon and the idol of young, intelligent, clean-cut America, uses it this way so I think that battle can be declared lost, for whoever may have been still fighting it) Dallas by a point. And until next week--so long, suckers!

3 comments:

Greg Shahade said...

I solved it without unscrambling any of the words :)

Elizabeth Vicary said...

SO DID I

Ron Young said...

I knew the words might be too hard for you guys so I tried to make it so it could be solved backwards.