Monday, August 30, 2010

Week Two, part one

New Jersey vs. New York:

I'm afraid that Gulko will soon forget how to play with Black, but I guess that is his problem, not New Jersey's. I expect Kacheishvili to hold and New York's advantage on the lower three boards to see them through to victory. New York by a minute*.

I don't think I noticed the Shen brothers before, or maybe the younger one was not yet 2200 last season. But I guess they are the youngest brother pair to make USCF master. If so, whose record did they break? Offhand, I guess the Whiteheads, but that seems too long ago. If we are counting sisters and foreigners, though, I guess the Polgars probably hold the sibling record.

Carolina vs. New England:

I try not to use the super-obvious puns in the jumbles, but I hate to waste them entirely. Look for the Nor'easters to breeze to victory. 3-1, New England.

Miami vs. San Francisco:

No Ruy for Becerra this week; at best he can hope for a Petroff. I expect Wolff to hold on board one and that SF will break through somewhere below. San Francisco by a heartbeat.

Arizona vs. Seattle

LAPIT
_OO_O

EATUGO
OO_O_O

NOGIT
OO_ _O

LORNMA
O_O_OO



"_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _    _ _ _ _ _"

The lazy bum ought to just get up, because the thrills won't wait. The Scorps by a nibble.


* I guess I can afford to explain once a season. "Team X by an anything" always means "by a point". I just don't like to say "point" all the time. It's like the "he said, she ejaculated, he vociferated" problem in dialogue but that can be dodged by just dispensing with it altogether.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about the Nakamuras?

Ron Young said...

I wasn't sure that Asuka made 2200 before retiring. If he did, then I guess the Nakamuras still hold the record. If he didn't, then the Byrnes might be another possibility.

Anonymous said...

altounian alert?

Ron Young said...

Not alert, nope.

Greg Shahade said...

I will steal his answer and go with later?

Ron Young said...

Yes, "Altounian later" it is. I'm glad it is answered now because sometimes when I look back I don't remember what the answer was so I'm not sure whether I've used an idea before.