Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Week Five, part two

Philadelphia vs. Queens:

I'm going to guess that this is the closest matchup in USCL history in terms of average rating difference on each board. Will Kudrin get off the schneid, where it is so comfortable? Will I have to solve my own jumble? I will say that it is cool the way Greg always writes "'releases' his latest jumble", rather than "posts". "Releases" evokes an expectant crowd, such as the ones that used to line up/camp out in front of the record store in order to buy the long-awaited next album by the hot group at the earliest opportunity. "Posts", in contrast, suggests another guy with too much time on his hands.

Anyway, too close to call really. So I'll pick Queens, because I live closer to them, which means they live closer to me. Queens, 2.5-1.5.


New Jersey vs. Chicago:

Make new friends, share a few laughs along the way, and win, lose, or draw, be sure to enjoy the game. New Jersey, 3-1.


New York vs. San Francisco:

They're both pretty good. Too bad they have to play each other. At chess, no less. I'll pick New York because it's good for chess when they win. New York, 2.5-1.5.


Arizona vs. Dallas

GARPS
_ _OO_

MOBIL
O_ _OO

IDREAM
OOO_ _ _

NETLAG
_OO_ _O





Arizona's fans need not have feared, because.......

"_ _ _ _ _ _ _" was "_ _ _ _ "

Arizona, 2.5-1.5.


Seattle vs. Tennessee:

Strong lineup for Tennessee but how will they react to a last-minute lineup switch that leaves them facing Nakamura? I expect they are ready for it. Tennessee, 2.5-1.5.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last minute change? The site doesnt indicate a change?? Naka is not playing

Ron Young said...

Just a prediction. It's what I do. I have to predict like a bowler has to bowl or an accountant has to account.

Anonymous said...

Nakamura vs Todd Andrews have a funny exchange going on Nakas blog. I'd love to see these two go head to head in a chess-boxing match. (It can be 4 ?s 4 like the league format)

Anonymous said...

Ron Young's jumble reminds me of Nathaniel Buckner's comments on Ben Franklin and electricity.

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't the rearrangement of Mobil be O_O_O ?

Ron Young said...

I guess I need an editor. But not you :) I've fixed it.