Saturday, December 6, 2008

All the Marbles

I notice that a lot of people weighing in so far pick one team or the other because they like some player, or think somebody is an admirable person. There’ll be none of that here.

Quite a long break since the division finals, hasn’t there been? I hope the players don't show as much rust as I felt putting this jumble together. To quote one of my less prescient jumbles (which is most of them, granted), the end is coming just in time.



REDPUB
_ _OO_ _

LOBCAT
OO_O_ _

MACER
_ _O_O

SOFIT
_ _ _OO

Answer: THEY LOVED THAT “_ _ _ _/ _”/ _ _ _ _ (i.e., 4,1,4; slashes indicate spaces)

Mindful of the possibility of a marathon tiebreaker such as we saw last year, the league has scheduled this match for the reasonable time of 3PM Eastern. I’m afraid the image conveyed by those old USCF catalogs showing little Davey Gertler tearing open gift-wrapped Informants and Heuer Chess Champions (too good to be called a mere clock) handed him by Santa Bisguier never really reflected the reality of chess in this country. But the league seems determined to do its part to make the game more family-friendly, so I applaud them for that, and I’m sure Phil Mushnick* does too (or would, if he knew or cared about chess).

But who will win this rematch of last season’s final, where callowness prevailed over experience? I think that this time, youth will be trumped by senescence. Boston, 2.5.1.5. Thank you and good night.

* New York Post sports/media columnist

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm ... "little Davey Gertler"? I guess that's a reference to a kid opening Christmas presents. (And the whole Christmas-catalog thing with Bisguier & me was deeply ironic, as we were the two token Jews in the USCF office.) Good thing I know you're not actually dissing my size (which is plenty large) - otherwise, I'd have to publish my lifetime score against you! ;)

Ron Young said...

I should have saved my copy, it’s probably a collector’s item now. Like those Spahn and Burdette baseball cards where they switched gloves. But isn’t our record just two draws? That’s a better score than I’m making around here.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm ... we had an insipid draw at the US Team East in '85, and I won a tactical barnburner at the '89 World Open. Did we play anywhere else? Oh well. Good luck with the blog.

Ron Young said...

There was another insipid draw at a later Amateur Team. Funny that I remember those but forget the barnburner. Maybe it's shell shock.